• question-icon

What does my ultrasound scan test report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 5 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor,

I have couple of questions regarding the health of 2 babies. would appreciate your advice.

1. 3 months old baby( 5.2 Kilograms) has a pelvic kidney. Right kidney appears normal in USG.
Right kidney 4.8 X 2.0X 2.0. pelvic kidney 4.0 X 1.5 X 1.5 close to bladder anteriorly placed collecting system. suggested DMSA scan after 3 months. now my question is , is it safe and must to put 3 months old on DMSA at this age ? what are the complications or side effects at this age? can we do this after 6 months.any reason to do this now ?

2. 50 days old baby 3.9 kilo grams.
intermittent dried blood and discharge from umbilicus. USG shows no abnormal growth or tract connecting umbilicus . cannot confirm or visualise any persistent VI duct. local examination of doctor appears to be a umbilical granuloma. suggested crystal salt 3 times per day in the area and second course of Amoxylin, continue sponge bath only. now my question is what is it with the granuloma? why is their a small dried blood in that area. what can we do to heal the umbilicus.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions for 2 babies

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Your questions have been very informative and I am not asking more information. Coming to your queries directly.

1. 3 month old baby weighing 5.2 kilos is doing well growth wise. As the kid is already 3 months old another 3 months means the kid will be 6 months old. Your doctor has been right in advising the DMSA scan at 6 months which is routine in the cases as you have currently described. This will give the functioning capacity of the kidneys individually in percentages. It is safe to do DMSA for a 6 month old. The term 'radioactivity' in DMSA scan material may sound alarming. But, the radioactive chemicals used in radionuclide scans are considered to be safe, and they leave the body quickly in the urine. The dose of radiation the body receives is very small. In many cases, the level of radiation involved is not much different to a series of a few normal X-rays. So better go ahead with the scan at 6 months of age.

2. It is quite common in umbilical granuloma to have some dried blood due to trivial trauma or scratch. But if I were your pediatrician I would like to rule out bleeding disorder by doing a Complete blood picture (CBC), PT, aPTT, CT and BT. Apart from this I also advice to meet a pediatric surgeon rather than using crystal salt as it can be treated effectively with a cautery.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 21 hours later
Thanks for the quick response . Regarding the DMSA scan. is it painful for the kids ? Also is there any harm in not knowing the percentage of kidney functions soon ? I mean while waiting for 6 months what precautionary measure should we take for the baby who has unknown functionality of left kidney. any particular medicine or foods to avoid? . baby is normal and feeding well.we don't want to put him through this soon, Peadic wants to do this soon, but Urologist said we can wait if we want to. we are in a dilemma.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DMSA Scsn suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hi...coming to your queries directly -

1. It is not painful.

2. I agree with your pediatrician that we need to do the scan and it is better to know the kidney functions individually as soon as possible.

3. Rather than taking precautions I suggest you get know the function of the kidneys please. I also suggest you to take an renal function test done. By DMSA scan it is not only the function which is known, we will also know the scarring and if there's any inflammation going on.

4. You need to avoid non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. No particular foods to avoid.

Regards -Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology