• question-icon

What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: I had a inguinal hernia repaired and ovary removed (cyst) back in 1994. Lower right abdomen. A few months later, due to pain, afterwards they did a second laproscopy to remove adhesions. It was video taped and I was alone in the room to watch the surgery. The doctor was cutting away at one section with great difficulty, when I noticed he was trying to cut through a shiny silver ring shaped object. The video stopped and restarted with him closing up after the procedure. He was "unavailable" to discuss this with me, and afterwards refused to see me, and referred me to another GYN. (I was only 38 years old and stopped having periods- went into menopause).
At the time I thought he was cutting on a hernia staple. Never got any answers. I tried to contact the physician who did the hernia repair (one did the hernia, and the gyn did the ovary during the same operation). He wouldn't speak to me either. Later I tried to find out what kind of mesh he used, if any, and they said my records had been destroyed.
Thinking back, I now believe he was trying to cut through the finger holds of a small set of hemostats, was too big to be a staple.
I have been in pain ever since, and thought maybe my hernia was back, but have been told I don't have a hernia. I can feel a separation between the muscles and when I bear down feel a sharp pain there. If I follow the separation and press on it, the pain goes away for a while. Now the pain radiates into my right hip area, and doesn't really go away. A week ago, I noticed I had a discharge with a little blood, (none since). I am post-menopausal and haven't had sex in 15 years, so I know I don't have an STD.
I don't attempt to "push the hernia back in" myself anymore, because I started thinking maybe the mesh has degraded and I am causing it to cut me inside.
I am also having gall bladder problems with a low grade fever (99.4) that comes and goes. Sometimes my temp. is even abnormally low (97.1), so I don't know if the temp. is related to the lower abdomen problem, or the gall bladder which is probably atrophied (see other questions per this web site and replies).

What kind of Doctor do I need to see regarding this problem, and what kind of tests should they do to check this problem? The radiologist suggested an ultrasound that
required me drinking a lot of water beforehand. I would still need to get a referral to even do that. Can you offer any advice?

P.S. Both of the doctors that operated on me previously have retired, and all of my records have mysteriously disappeared.

I'm just a mess.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Definite internal condition suspicious.Consultant surgeon with Ultrasound .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.com

I have evaluated your current query along with past questions regarding other issues thoroughly .

* There is definite underlying lesion giving agony of symptoms which may be in
form of separation of internal layers pushing contents through or trapping of
some tissue structure inside any rent portion (which may or may not be hernia)

* Need to consult expert Consultant Surgeon only .

* Primary requirement is high resolution ultrasound (with expert Radiologist) for
Local part --
to evaluate gaping , hernia or other structural abnormality , whether mesh
remnants are there along with
Transvaginal ultrasound --
to evaluate for uterus inflammation or cervical issue .

Hope this will help you .

Welcome for further queries .

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon