• question-icon

What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: This is xxxx, i had miscarriage on 10th week. And we consulted doctor and they said to wait for two weeks and now i am on 12th week and i feel back pain and light pain in lower abdominal. Does it means, is their any infection in uterus? If not what's the cause for this pain? How long can we wait like this to clear sac from uterus without getting infection?

My story: Last month i thought i was pregnant and went OB-GYN and they said i was 8 weeks pregnant and they took ultrasound and able to see heart beat(107/min). And my doctor said to come back in 2 weeks and we went after 2 weeks and they said that their is no growth and they didn't see any heart beat this time. So she said it might be mis-carriage. And she said to wait for two weeks to clear that naturally if not we can follow DNC. And we said ok. But now i feel pain in back and light pain in abdominal. This thursday is my appointment with OB-GYN.

I am worried about, does it causing any infection inside?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a sign of infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Pain after a week of miscarriage is a sign that the process of abortion is starting and is likely to occur in few days.
It is not a sign of infection in the uterine cavity.
In my opinion, it is better to get the termination of pregnancy done by your doctor by surgical evacuation as soon as possible, as keeping the products of conception in the uterus for a long time can lead to infection and bleeding abnormalities.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 16 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Is their any other option( like pills, injections...), other than DNC procedure? If not, does DNC procedure has any side effects in feature pregnencies?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to go for D & C

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
It is better to go for D& C for the termination of pregnancies beyond 8 weeks.
Properly done D& C do not cause any further problem in pregnancy or conception.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine