What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Lump
Question: what does abdominal ultrasound results mean: you have a large hernia
that contains some of your intestines?
Is it urgent? it is painful in stomach and in back? Not feeling good.
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More information please...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will be answering at your questions.A hernia happens when some of the contents inside our abdomen (fat,intestine or other organs) find a weakness in our abdominal wall muscle and passes through.
In your case,there is intestine in the herniated mass. It is not an emergency. In some cases it might be urgent.

It would be great if you could provide more information about the ultrasound result.
The location of your hernia (inguinal,epigastric,umbelical) and if possible the size.
For how long do you have this hernia. Do you have other symptoms like nausea,vomiting. Can you pass gas or do you have bowel movement or not.
You can also upload the result of the ultrasound here and I will be able to answer at all your questions.
Awaiting...

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Endri Katro 1 hour later
Could pain be coming from bowel blockage? I have not had a bowel movement in several days,reply: I told you all that I know about the abdominal ultra sound: " a large hernia containing some of your intestines" this is just my family doctor's email to me this morning.Its Saturday, so I have not had a follow up appointment yet.
size: it is about the size that both my hands can hold
location: I would say mostly umbilical downward and to the left
how long: months, getting slowly larger and now very noticeable and heavy
Gas: passed gas several times yesterday, but almost none today
Bowel movement: have not had in several days
Symptoms: obvious hard bulge that was uncomfortable and is now painful.First bad pain was late yesterday
Grows more painful as the day gets later.
NOTE: I had removal of small section of lower colon in November 2013. It had become inactive.Do you think it has become urgent? Could it rupture? Did you receive my reply about an hour ago? Or my questions about urgency and possible rupture?? Will I hear any more from you tonight ?? Did you receive my reply about an hour ago? Or my questions about urgency and possible rupture?? Will I hear any more from you tonight ??Brief Answer:
Yes,symptoms are that this situation is urgent.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back and sorry for not responding earlier.

Pain that gets bigger and bigger. Not passing gas,and not having a bowel movement.
So yes,i might say that we have a blockage here and you need medical help in this case. You need to go to the ER because the symptoms that you describe correlate with a strangulated hernia and it is an emergency. The doctors/surgeon might be able to do some tests to determine if is strangulated or not,but in either case,you need medical help.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Endri Katro