What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: hello

plz tell me how to calculate week in pregnancy. my last date is 2nd Feb, I did my iui on 16th Feb I checked for pregnancy on 5th March, my first hcg blood shows 1177 and second show on 8th March 2277, today I went for ultrasound only sac of 0.75m was present

my concern is am I OK, or there is some problem how many week I m and when my doctor will be able to c more on ultrasound becoz as per LMP I m now on 5week so my prego is very slow, I m confused how to calculate?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think that everything looks okay for now - do not assume the worst

Detailed Answer:
So here are the facts as I understand them:

1. 2/16 - IUI
2. 3/5 - HCG = 1177
3. 3/8 - HCG = 2277
4. 3/10 - gestational sac = 0.75mm

That is correct, you should be about 5 weeks in the pregnancy. I am basing this on the 'date of conception' which is when you had the IUI done. Typically, the average sac diameter at 5 wks = 2mm but this is just the 'average'. Typically at 5 wks gestation, the average HCG level is about 1200. So, here is my take on this:

1. At 5 weeks, all you are going to see is a gestational sac.
2. While the sac size is slightly smaller than the average, given difficult it is to measure at this point, I would say that this is not concerning
3. The HCG levels are almost exactly where they should be
4. 85% of HCG levels double in 48 hours, and 90%+ double in 72 hours. Given that there was doubling in 72 hours, you have to remain hopeful.

I am assuming that they are repeating the ultrasound once you are at or beyond 6 weeks. Does this help?

Dr. Tim

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 32 minutes later
thank u
actually in the previous iui it resulted in blighted ovum my hcg count we're very less it started with 82 , 182 and 1032 so I m little worried this time, yes they did my ultrasound now to check it's not ectopic they have scheduled next ultrasound after 2 weeks, had also given 2 hcg injections for every week.

check u also check my attached reports, is this I k? y they have written that tsh should be between 2 in first trimester? I don't understand this report
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
That is a good plan and your labs are normal

Detailed Answer:
With regard to the pregnancy and ultrasound, this sounds like a good plan. As I stated, you cannot assume the worst as there are hopeful aspects with regard to the ultrasound and HCG levels.

With regard to the labs, here is what I conclude:
1. You are anemic (low blood counts) and need to be on supplemental iron (and talk to your doctor about this lab)
2. The TSH is normal and in the normal range
3. They tested for thyroid antibodies (which are often present in Grave's disease) and they are not present

So there are no concerns about thyroid disease or problems based on what you have shown me.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
OK, thank u for this, and I feel the urge for frequent urine, y this is happening, in the morning it's OK but at night I sometime try to ignore becoz I m sleeping but then I feel pressure at lower abdomen
Brief Answer:
You should get checked for a bladder infection

Detailed Answer:
While this might be an effect of pregnancy, more often it is related to bacteria in the urine. You should get checked for a bladder infection.

Does this help ?
Dr. Tim
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
OK thank,
earlier also I get that checked but everything was ok
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would just tell a patient to observe this for now

Detailed Answer:
If it is not a bladder infection then it is just related to pregnancy. Observe for now and call your doctor if it is getting worse.,

Dr. Tim