What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: i had a d & c 2 years and 10 months ago and also had a mirena put in to control my heavy bleeding caused by my period. It has been great with only slight bleeding each month and most of the time nothing at all. At the time my pelvic ultrasound showed a cyst in my left ovary (3.7cm by 3.6cm by 2.6cm) and the uterus was anteverted and normal in size (10 by 6.8 by 4.7cm). 10 days ago I had some bleeding for 3 days but was manageable thinking that it was just a touch more than I normally got over the last 2 and a half years after having a d and c and mirena put in. After the 3 days I started bleeding immensely with clots and this has been going on now for 7 days. I have lost weight and I had a pelvic ultrasound which said that the IUCD is not seen and the uterus is now measuring 143 by 63 by 80mm and there are 2 fibroids with the larger in the fundus subserosal in position measuring 47 by 54 by 46mm and the other is submucosal 35 by 53 by 44 mm on the left side. The endometrium measures 11mm and appears mildly distorted and thickened. The right ovary is 53cc containing a 36 by 45 by 45mm simple cyst and the left ovary is 10cc. No free fluid. My GP has put me on Primolut for 4 days to be taken twice a day. Am I bleeding because there is no mirena and I am having my period or am I bleeding because of the fibroids? Is it possible that the mirena came out while I was bleeding immensely with clots coming out? What is the solution to stop this bleeding and will the primolut stop or reduce the bleeding and if so how long does it take to work? I am getting extremely frustrated and worried and I am a bridesmaid for my first cousin in 3 months. I am 41 years old in April and am married with 3 children aged 18, 16 and 13 and don't plan on having any more. Please advise??? I am due to see a specialist in 5 days, the same one that did the d and c and put the mirena in 2 years and 10 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to fibroids.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The excessive bleeding that you are having now can be due to absence of mirena as well as due to fibroids. Mirena can come out along with the clots but usually thread is visible coming out of the clot. Primolut takes 3 days to show an effect. You can take Pause MF with it for an earlier relief. After the bleeding stops primolut needs to be continued and mirena re insertion or surgery may be needed after consulting with your gynecologist.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
What is Pause MF?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is hemostatic agent- Ethamsylate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Pause MF is hemostatic agent. This tablet can be taken twice a day to control the bleeding. You can get it prescribed by your gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Does the mirena prevent bleeding from the fibroids? If surgery has to be performed - what surgery would it be? If i do have to remove my uterus; will i gain weight?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mirena helps in controlling bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Mirena helps in having a proper cyclic bleeding and prevents excessive bleeding. Only fibroids can be removed and in case your family is complete then even removal of uterus can be planned. Gain in weight is not related to uterus removal. You can control your weight with diet and regular exercise.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee