What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi. I am a 70 year old woman in general good health. I had a cone biopsy for cervical cancer in 1985 - no recurrence, but cervix is now stenotic and atrophic - vaginal atrophy as well. Was experiencing a bit of light spotting back at end of Oct/16. Saw gyno and went for trans-vag ultrasound - nothing untoward...uterine lining 3.3 mm. Conclusion was/is that the slight spotting is because of the atrophy. Happens intermittently - pale brown, sometimes almost invisible. Should I go see my gyno again or wait until routine pap smear in September. (Last Pap in Sept/16 was normal - no "white spots" on cervix and no bleeding during exam) Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consider application of estrogen gel

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam, thanks for trusting health care magic
There seems nothing much to worry but still this continued bleeding can be falsely reassuring thinking it to be benign because of atrophy
In my opinion you should apply estrogen gel twice a week in vagina and thus relieving both bleeding and itching and even urinary symptoms
Visit your gynaecologist for evaluation and prescription of gel
All the best
Dr Manisha Jain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 40 minutes later
Thanks...as I say, the spotting is intermittent and more of a wash on the toilet paper...my gyno (same surgeon who operated on my cervical cancer in 85) said not to worry unless it actually became like a hemorrhage. Because the cervix is now setnotic, there are no other tests i can have - had pelvic exam and trans-vaginal ultrasound in November/16 - no evidence of endometrial or other abnormalities. Also had CA125 blood test last year - results were well within normal range (very low actually) Your advice is to go see him again now anyway? Just wanting to be clear - I am an anxious person by nature and don't want to over-react. Thank you!Please take a look at my follow-up comments. I am not trying to second-guess you. i am n a very stressful situation at the moment (relationship and finances) and my nerves are bad - I need some help, bt don't want to (as I said) over-react. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
She can assess you for need of estrogen

Detailed Answer:
Yes dear I have read your whole question earlier and seen this feedback too.
This is generally a self resolving situation but if causing problems for you in the form of distress related to repeated blood on toilet paper.
Evaluation is needed as estrogen application can cause hypertension and headaches and many other small ailments can occur so your gynaecologist can assess the need for estrogen supplement if needed and can rule out conditions which can be worsened by the use of estrogen.
In case she said you don't need anything then no need to visit her till an year of last visit
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng