What does my ultrasound scan report at 29 weeks of pregnancy indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Yesterday(27-December-2017) had a Ultrasound growth scan as I am 29 week pregnant today.

As per the report , scan shows there is 3 week 6 days difference between HC and AC ,
AC is being at 1 percentile.

other organs size
1. BPD - 69mm
2. HC - 273mm
3. AC - 214 mm
4. FL - 58mm
5. AGA - 28 week 4days
6. EFW 1160 g ( 2.45 LBS)

Hence my question is :-
AC is only at 1 percentile and there is 3 week 6 days difference between HC and AC , is it normal ?
What should do i know ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Indicates asymmetric intrauterine growth retardation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through the report. It indicates asymmetric intrauterine growth retardation indicating that there is possibly a lack of adequate feto-placental circulation. Due to lack of nutrients, the resources need to be preferentially redirected so that the brain growth (as indicated by the head circumference or HC) remains relatively unaffected. However, the brunt of the crisis is faced by the remaining body causing the abdominal circumference or AC to drop. A follow up study is needed and an early delivery may need to be planned.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 16 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your advise.

How to identify if fetal placental circulation is not adequate. What should we do in this case to increase EFW and AC percentile

I have started with protein supplement and mother horlicks and protein diet.

Could you please advise some medication that will help in increasing my baby AC percentile and other organs as well and EFW.

I am worried.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medication will not help

Detailed Answer:
Maternal nutrition is important but ensuring it will not necessarily improve the situation. Inadequacy of feto-placental circulation is the most likely cause of low AC. The cause needs to be inferred as I have done. However, you need to involve your obstetrician who can try to identify the underlying pathology. The effect has already been documented and needs to be followed up with a subsequent scan possibly from a different centre.

There is hardly much that can be done at this stage and so an early delivery might need to be planned. Two doses of Ini. Betnesol would be essential prior to delivery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 39 minutes later
Doctor I had doppler test today , i will get report tomorrow if that is ok ,can i assume that feto-placental circulation is okay.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There has to be an explanation

Detailed Answer:
You need to understand that there has to be an explanation for the asymmetric intrauterine growth retardation that has already been documented. Let us wait for the Doppler report.