What does my thyroid test report indicate?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My wife, 52 years old, is suffering from Hypothyroidism. Her latest reports show T3 108, T4 8.2, TSH 6.54. Her blood pressure rises in the morning to 90/160. Before hypothyroidism she always had 80/120 blood pressure.

She is taking 50 mg thyronorm and olmat 20 mg for blood pressure.

Some doctors suggest 75 mg of thyronorm while others suggest 12.5 mg . How to know the correct dosage ?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
TSH value has increased,so you need to increase the dose of thyronorm.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

I have read your query the and understand the concerns.

Considering latest reading of TSH value (6.54), she should increase the dose back to 75 mcg once daily and get thyroid tests (especially TSH) again after 1 month.

Her T3 and T4 values are completely normal.

As you said when she was taking Tab.thyronorm 75 mcg,the TSH value was in normal range so there was no need to reduce the dose at that time.

When the dose was reduced to 50 mcg,there might be deficient of thyroid hormones in her blood leading to sudden increase in Serum TSH value (Normal value of TSH 0.5 to 4.0 miu/l).

So,she should have continued to take the same dose (75 mcg) till the next thyroid follow-up.

One more thing, it might require some time to stabilize the exact Thyronorm dosage initially but once your dosage will be set then there will be no issue.

Continue your thyroid treatment with regular follow-up at your treating physician and if possible check your thyroid profile on every alternative months at initial stages.

And when the dosage will be set you can go for testing every 3 to 6 monthly as per your convenience.

Also,thyroid tablet (Thyronorm) must be taken on empty stomach to get maximum absorption from the stomach as food might interfere with its absorption.

Ideally it is taken after 2 hours of having meal or before 45 minutes of meal.
Means it is best not to eat anything for at least 1 hour after taking thyronorm.

Her blood pressure rise (160/90) may be related to elevation of TSH value but no need to worry about it as it will come down to normal once TSH value will be normal.Till the time continue with anti-hypertensive medicine as prescribed by your doctor.

Hope this detailed answer will be helpful.

Dr.SandipKabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj