What does my thyroid test report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi,

I am 28 years female with no medical health problems till now. I have observed a swelling in the front side of the neck and performed the following tests:
T3 Triiodothyronine - 0.90
T4 Thyroxine - 9.60
TSH - 4.78

I have performed high resolution sonography of thyriod and Cytopathology report as well. By looking at the reports doctor has confirmed that it is hashimotos Thyrioditis with follicular neoplasm and suggested for additional CT scan to observe the condition. However, it is suggested to remove the thyriod gland. Please have a look at the reports that i am attaching.
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
May repeat the FNAC/ get a second opinion for slide

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

I have gone through the reports.
The FNAC report is not conclusive of follicular neoplasm - it is written as? follicular neoplasm. It is better you do a slide review with an expert pathologist before doing surgery.

Follicular neoplasm is not cancer. The follicular neoplasm cannot be differentiated from follicular cancer by FNAC test. So when the report is follicular neoplasm it is better to do surgery.

But in your case it is suspicious of follicular neoplasm and not a clear cut follicular neoplasm. So it is better to get a second opinion from another pathologist or repeat an FNAC and ultrasound after 3 months.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you

Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
Consultant Endocrinologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist