What does my thyroid antibody test report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 23 Feb 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Is my thyroid autoantibody indicative of Hashimoto?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
I have had the opportunity to review your lab results. I see several test results for various hormones such as TSH free T4 testosterone cortisol etc. However I am unable to spot any thyroid auto antibody results. Kindly provide then for my perusal so I comment as to whether or not you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 18 minutes later
It is first attachment in list form
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
I see the thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody result. It is within normal limits.

This is the more common of the two types of thyroid auto antibodies that typically result in Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

The other one is anti thyroglobulin antibody level.

So on the basis of this one anti TPO level, you do not have Hashimoto's disease.

But it is helpful to check other one in case you suspect the possibility of you having this condition, such as if:
a) your TSH is elevated
b) you have thyroid enlargement
c) your family members have an under active thyroid and are on medication for it.

If both antibodies are negative then it is extremely unlikely you have Hashimoto's. However, there is still a small chance that despite both antibodies being negative you still have the condition because these tests are about 95% accurate.
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist