What does my semen annalysis report indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi my semen annalysis report is
Volume 8 ml
Colour grayish white
Reaction alkaline white
Liquification time 5 min
Semen fructose positive
Sperm count 17 milli/ml

Motility
Active 50%
Sluggish 10 %
Non motile 40%

Morphology
Normal 70%
Abnormal 30%
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low sperm count

Detailed Answer:
According to your details:
Volume is little bit high, but that may not cause problem.
Color, alkaline reaction, liquefaction time, fructose positivity are normal.
Usually sperm count should be above 20 million/ml, according to that your sperm count is low.
Motility and morphology are normal.

Low sperm count can occur due to many causes like infection, hormonal imbalance, ejaculatory problems, varicocele etc.
By examination and by taking detailed history the possible cause of the problem can be identified and treated.
Low sperm count always doesn't indicate infertility, by treatment the chances of fertility can be improved.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow-up: What does my semen annalysis report indicate? 5 hours later
I have sent 3 reports. Please examine it and tell me how bad is my condition.
I want to know can i be a father naturally. I have been trying for near about 8 months.how much more time shall i try it naturally and afterwards opt for other alternatives.My wife and i badly wants a child. Please help us and show us the right path

Brief Answer:
Treatment to improve sperms count

Detailed Answer:
According to your semen analysis, you are having low sperm count.
By lifestyle modifications like avoiding stress and strain, alcohol, smoking etc and by using medicines containing antioxidants with vitamins and minerals, sperm count can be improved.
So, better to take treatment with your doctor's advice.
By taking treatment, in one or two months your seminal parameters can improve and conception may occur naturally.
After treatment, if seminal parameters improve, you can try for three to four months for natural conception.
If sperm count does not improve to the sufficient number even after treatment, you can go for intrauterine insemination with present sperm count itself.

Follow-up: What does my semen annalysis report indicate? 27 hours later
Can you suggest medicines for improvement of sperm count.
I have shown the reports to my cousin n she is gynac. She has suggested clofert 25 mg and coq cd for 1 month. Do you suggest me to consult urologist. Or this medicines are ok or you suggest something else.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to consult urologist once

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you can use the tablets suggested by your cousin.
These tablets help in correcting hormonal imbalance and in supplying essential nutrients.
Other brands we usually prescribe in our hospital are oligo care, oligo care forte etc.
Better to consult urologist once, because by examination structural problems like varicocele etc can be ruled out.