What does my semen analysis test report indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello,

Iam trying to father a child but on recent test i found i have bilateral varicocele, multiple dilated viens 2-3mm are in both pampiniform plexus showing reversal of flow during valsalva manoeuvre . My left testis is small. Please check attached report. My sperm count is 6million with vitality as 55% and motility as 35%. My doc currently prescribed qgold tablet. I want to know

1. can varicocele be treated without surgery in my case. ?
2. Can i improve my sperm count and reduce varicocele issues with exercise and supplements ?
3. is my testis size normal or shrinking ? if yes Can i get back the testis size to normal ?
4. Will i be able to increase my sperm count without surgery ?

If you have any suggestions, please add it.

Self Medication for last 5 days -
Applying caster oil to testis, changing underwear to more breathable to reduce heat.
Bridge pose for 20mins daily to drain down varicocle bloods.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have Oligoasthanozoospermia .

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for your query ,
Based on the report of your semen analysis that you have uploaded I would say that you have Oligozoospermia meaning there by that your sperm count and percentage of active grade one motile sperm is lower than WHO standards for fertilization of female egg to result into pregnancy.

As regards your queries I would answer them as detailed below .
1) You have grade 2 Varicocele ,Varicocele of any grade can not be treated with medicines and has to be managed conservatively or treated by surgery .
2) Sperm count can be increased with regular exercise and proper high [protein diet
with Vitamins A.B.C.E and Zinc but Varicocele can not be corrected by these measures ,
3) Size of the Testis remains static after the age of 22 years ,
4) Surgery for Varicocele may or may not increase sperm count .
It helps to increase sperm count in 30% patients.

Following general measures do help to increase sperm count and sperm motility.
1) Practice regular exercise for 45 minutes followed by meditation for 1/2 an hour in the morning.
2) Take high protein diet rich in vegetables and fruits and Vitamin A,C,D,E.and Zinc
3)Take anti oxidants like Almonds 5-6 everyday
4) Avoid alcohol and smoking..

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 39 minutes later
Can sperm count be increased despite having varicocele grade 2 ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes sperm count can increase despite of Grade 2 varicocele.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up ,

Though Varicocele is associated with low sperm count it is not the only cause for low sperm count ,
It can increase despite of Varicocele .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr,Patill