What does my renal sonogram report indicate?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi I had a renal sonogram and the report said I have a cyst on left kidney which measures 1.9x1.3 . It also states, minimal caliectasis is noted within the left kidney without evidence of hydronephrosis or pelviectasis. ( IMPRESSION) No Hydronephrosis or nephrolithiasis Can you explain this to me please also should I be on an antibiotic. Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No antibiotics required

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Here are the interpretations to the ultrasonogram

1. Cyst is a collection of fluid in a pouch, cysts are usually found in individuals above the age of 40, it is the normal ageing process. Nothing need to be done about it. However in some instances these cysts get infected and it requires treatment with antibiotics

2. Minimal caliectasis is a cause for concern, it means that the region where the kidney connects to the ureter is mildly dilated, it is most often due to stones or reflux. I suggest you to undergo CT of the kidney ureter and bladder to rule out stones.

Based on this report there is no need to be treated with antibiotic, however I must add here that antibiotics are based on urine routine report and not on ultrasound itself. Please get urine routine done

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj