What does my pap smear test result indicate?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi my partner did a PaP Smear test and it had no lesions or malignancy. Endocervical cells were noted. She has white discharge. Report says "some reactive changes associated with severe inflammation". Doctor has given VDM kit for both me and her and a follow up Smear test as well as a HPV test. My questions are:

Questions:

1. Is it a normal or an abnormal Pap smear ? If abnormal, is it mildly abnormal or a lot ?
2. Is the vaginal discharge caused by any STD or can be any other cause
3. How long after both partners have taken VDM kit can they engage in physical relationship with each other.
4. Does this report show any strong sign of HPV
5. When should the next Pap Smear be done after taking the VDM kit
6. Should the HPV test be done now itself to rule it out and not wait ? Is it something to cause a concern if found.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The reslut does not indicate any big abnormality. Relax

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for the Pap smear and its present results.

I have diligently analyzed your query and noted all your concern. Pap smear is a simple basic test to rule out any abnormality in cervix region of female uterus and the surrounding areas and screening procedure for cervical cancer. It basically detects the changes created by HPV virus. The test doesn’t detect other sexually transmitted diseases.

To answer your various concerns:

@ It is a mildly abnormal Pap smear. We quite often encounter such kind of results.

@ The vaginal discharge appears to be simply due to candida infection or mixed infection rather than any major STD.

@In general should abstain for 1-2 weeks time. It also depends upon the time period of discharge and clinical findings.

@ No. The report does not show nay strong sign of HPV.

@ In general the Pap smear could be taken after 1- 2 weeks of VDM kit or the decision could be taken on clinical ground.. If the discharge is still present then could be deferred for further 1 week.

@ The test result is not at all a big concern. As I guided you that such kind of results are very common. Your doctor has wisely given you the kit as candida infection or mixed infection gets treated by the same. Please take the proper timely dose of the kit and clear the infection.

Follow the guidelines of the doctor and get treated accordingly.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases