What does my mammogram report indicate?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Nov 2014 in Skin Cancer
Question: Hi Doctor:

I was in touch with a doctor earlier and did not hear back from her.
I went for a mammogram and was called back for more testing they found microcalcifications grouping in the middle of the nipple. The report said birad of 0. I am scheduled for another mammogram; Ultrasound and possibly 3w TOMO which I don't know what a Tomo test is. I have so much anxiety at this time. Last year they found a spot and did a spot compression and said it was gone. I am so afraid this could be cancer and what are the chances? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ct scan

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Micro calcification can be seen in malignancy. Tomo means tomography or in other words ct scan. This is done to confirm diagnosis and also to rule out malignancy. You don't need to worry much. It is just an association and not confirmatory. Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 11 minutes later
Hi Doctor: The mammogram report indicated a birad of 0. I am not understanding why they are sending me for all of these other tests? Do they possibly think its cancer?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
ct to rule out cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
Whenever micro calcification is detected ct scan must be done to rule out malignancy. It doesn't mean that you have cancer.
Just relax and get investigation done.
Thank you