What does my mammogram report indicate?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Fri, 31 Oct 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I was told I had a 1.2 cm lobulated mass with vascularity present, biopsy showed no evidence of malignancy or atypia. Yet my doctor referred me to a vascular surgeon for a second opinion. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Abnormal mammogram needs additional open biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health question.

I am sorry to hear that you had an abnormal mammogram. You describe the reading from your mammogram as a lobulated 1.2 cm mass with increased vascularity. This is a common finding and despite the needle biopsy showing no malignancy or atypia your doctor is still concerned that it maybe malignant. They have recommend you to a surgeon for open biopsy to get a larger sample and perhaps even excision to determine the exact nature of the mass. This is the usual protocol and I recommend you do as they requested. In my practice I would do exactly as they have outlined. First a needle biopsy and then excision if needed.

Hope I answered your question. Please contact us again with your medical questions or concerns
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj