• question-icon

What does my liver function test report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi,
i am detected with hepatitis A with jaundice from 2nd june'17. initially with liver function test SGOt and SGPT was both above 1700 but after 16 days repeated LFT showed close to normal values of SGPT/ S GOT however bilirubin level is still 14.5(total) and 7.3(direct). USG of the abdomen showed mildly enlarged liver and 1 small calculas( 5 mm) in left kidney otherwise everything is fine.
however i have still yellow urine, eyes and skin and occasional etchiness of skin. my doc says it may be accumulated bilirubin that may take time to flush out.

How much time may it take to fully recover? is this high bilirubin level normal? what kind of diet can i take now?.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Infective Hepatitis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query on HealthcareMagic

I do understand your concern

“As” per your clinical history is concerned you have nothing to be worried at all and your are recovering quickly and it will take up to 6 month maximum for a total recovery of liver inflammation.Your present symptom is due to Bilirubin so it will go away on it's own soon .so take rest during this time and control nausea by eating frequent snacks rather than eating a large meals.Do not take any medications without advise by your doctor as your liver is inflamed .Do not drink alcohol during this time .

Regarding diet i may suggest following recommendations -:

Drink plenty of water if boiled it is better and this will remove excess bilirubin in urine .Take liquid diet for 15 days and you can eat vegetables like [spinach and carrots] and drink fruit juices.You can take Eggs if you like but avoid spicy, oily ,Sugary foods, artificial sweeteners and caffeine etc

You can take fresh tomato juice by adding pepper and salt to it if you like it and it will control liver inflammation .

So nothing to be worried at all for present bilirubin level and it will come down to normal within few weeks.

Thanks and wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo