What does my liver function test report indicate?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: just done the test for Liver function and my SGPT is i64 U/L and SGOT is 55 U/L and my
previous test done 6 months back shows 55 SGPT and 22 SGOT ,I drink XXXXXXX once a week 2 pegs and I am also vegetarian last six months- Please advice
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Enzyme within normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

5 he quantity of alcohol consumed by you is unlikely to result in alcoholic liver disease .
Compared to previous values there is only marginal elevation of SGPT and SGOT (non specific liver enzymes ) but they are still in normal range . Gamma Glutamyl Transferase (GGT) is more specific enzyme marker for alcoholic liver disease.

Even though quantity of alcohol consumed by you is not high, complete abstinence is key to good health

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS, MD
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 45 minutes later
Hi Doctor Shoba,
I don't hardly drink when you compare to what I drink before the previous test and still the result is the normal region when you compare to the recent one-
Should I go for a cancer test-
With regards to Alcohol I have no problem to quit because I hardly drink-

also I would like to inform that 12 hrs before the test I had 3 pegs of whisky which is the only alcohol I consumed since last 10 days-

Do you think I should do the test again-

Please advice

XXXX

Please ad vice

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound abdomen will be required

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Apart from Biochemical testing I would advise you the following

1. Ultrasound abdomen
2. GGT assay

Do keep me updated

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Hi Doctor,
GGTP was done -It was in the test report attached earlier-
GGTP is 39 U/L-tomorrow I will go for an ultrasound abdomen test
thanks
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wishing you great health

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Normal GGT is reassuring.
Wishing you great health

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak