• question-icon

What does my liver enzyme test result indicate?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: just received liver enzyme test results in mail AST U/L (76) ALT U/L (50) HOW MUCH TROUBLE AM I IN?also kidney creatinine (1.33) eGFR (56)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to stop further change

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lab ranges can vary slightly from one lab to the next.

The Alt is just within the norm if you lab uses the range 20 to 60 which is the commonly used range, some labs use 7 to 56.

The AST and the creatinine are above the normal values.

An increase in AST can be due to different causes, one of the most common of these is fatty liver. This is the build up of fat in the liver and it can be due to excess alcohol use or it can be NON alcoholic fatty liver disease.

NON alcoholic fatty liver disease, the build up of fat is due to decreased activity and diet related.

The fat build up , whether it is from alcohol or diet/activity, can cause inflammation and damage to the liver

If due to alcohol then discontinuation may prevent further damage

If it is due to inactivity/poor diet, then an increase in activity and a change in diet, would help

In terms of the creatinine, this looks at the kidney, the upper limit is 1.2 at most labs. The GRF also looks at the kidney, normal results 90 to 120.
It decreases slightly with age

Thees results suggest that your kidney is not working as they should. This can happen in persons with high blood pressure, diabetes or it may be due to other causes.
Your doctor may suggest an ultrasound of the kidneys to take a look.

At the moment they are still clearing the toxins okay but you need to prevent further deterioration.

Summary: (1) increase in AST may be due to fatty liver though there are other causes, the increase in only mild but need to prevent further increase by finding the likely cause

At the moment, liver function is still able to function adequately

(2)kidneys also impaired, need to find cause and treat risk factors
AT the moment , function is adequate but again, as with the liver, need to stop further change

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James