What does my lipid profile test results indicate?

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Good evening Dr. Grief. I am a 37 white, male. I am 5'11" and weigh around 195lbs. I'm very worried right now concerning my A1C and ALT test results. I just got my results back yesterday and am working out of town so I can't get into my GP's office for another week. I'm worrying myself sick right now but HOPE I'm being overreactive. I know my cholesterol is out of wack but I know I can wait to see my doctor and work that out. I'm just really worried about my liver and A1C levels. Are these levels cause for EXTREME WORRY AND IMMEDIATE ACTION? Your thoughts are extremely appreciated sir. Below are my test results:

CHOL: 267 mg/dl
TRIG: 227 mg/dl
HDL: 38 mg/dl
LDL: 184 mg/dl
CH/HDL: 7.0
LDL/HDL: 4.8
A1C%: 6.0%
MBG: 112 mg/dl
NA: 141 mmol/L
K:4.7 mmol/L
CL: 105 mmol/L
CO2: 27 mmol/L
ANGAP: 14 mmol/L
GLUC: 104 mg/dl
BUN: 14 mg/dl
CREA: 1.1 mg/dl
eGFR: >60ml/min/1.73 m2
eGFR: >60ml/min/1.73 m2
BUN/CR: 13
ALP: 77 U/L
CA: 9.6 mg/dl
AST: 33 U/L
ALT: 75 U/L
TBIL: 1.1 mg/dl
TP: 7.4 g/dl
ALB: 4.2 g/dl
GLOB: 3.2 g/dl
A/GRAT: 1
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need for immediate action

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Your results are NOT worrisome and do not require immediate followup. Yes, your cholesterol is very high and your good cholesterol is low, but that can wait, as you mentioned. Your A1C is where it should be for very well-controlled diabetes. This is a measurement assessing blood sugars for the past few months, so there is no urgent action to be taken. Your ALT is mildly elevated, but not even close to levels suggesting acute hepatitis (which would be in the hundreds if not thousands). This can be followed up when you get back.

There is nothing here to worry about and no need to take immediate action. Finish what you're doing, stop worrying, and see your doctor when you get back.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Karen Steinberg 30 minutes later
Dr XXXXXXX i want to thank you so much for this calming news. I just accepted a promotion and had to move. I've been away from my wife and two kids for 6 months, selling a house, buying a new house, etc............this was the wrong time for these results to come back. I thank you so much again ma'am.
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Sounds like you are under a lot of stress. I'm glad I could help alleviate a little of it!
Follow up: Dr. Karen Steinberg 14 minutes later
You did. Well done. Real quick, where could i find AN ACCURATE AND HONEST diet plan to help decrease my ALT? Also, if im asking too many questions please let me know.
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check XXXXXXX Heart Association website

Detailed Answer:
There is no specific diet just to reduce ALT. The only thing would be to avoid alcohol. Fatty infiltration of the liver may cause this, in which case the same meal plan used to control cholesterol may be useful. Some medicines can increase it. Check with your doctor when you get back- he or she may want to do further workup to see why your ALT is mildly elevated.

You do need to follow a good meal plan to help you control your cholesterol. You may need to take medicine for it as well. Check the XXXXXXX Heart Association website. They have recommendations for lifestyle changes and what type of diet you should follow. This usually is a good balance of fruits and vegetables with proteins and whole grains, avoiding most fat and fried food, and also staying away from fast foods and sugary foods.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Karen Steinberg 5 minutes later
Does Lexapro tend to elevate ALT's? I've been on 10mg's for about 5-6 years......
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lexapro doesn't commonly cause elevations

Detailed Answer:
Lexapro is not a common cause of increases in ALT. After the drug was marketed, there were a few reports of liver problems and elevations in liver tests. However, no direct correlations could be made with Lexapro use. The controlled studies prior to its release didn't show any changes. Hope this answers your question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj