What does my lipid profile results indicate?

Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Sir,
I am a resident of XXXXXXX and 38 yrs of age with very moderate activity levels.

I had been detected with high blood pressure and my lipid profile results were as under.

Total Choestrol CHOD - PAP = 258
Triglycerides GPO-PAP = 234
HDL = 48
LDL = 163.2
Serum CHOL/HDL ratio calculated = 5.38

I was prescribed Roseday 10 mg - 1 every day

This was around 10 months back, but fearing side effects I did not take it. But still I keep getting readings of high BP, also I regularly experience chest pains and my hands often lose partial sensation.

Should I start using Roseday...will there be any side effects that I should worry.

Thanks in advance

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypercholestolaemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Total cholesterol 258 mg/dl( Normal 120-220 in few books 160-220 mg /dl)
Triglyceride234 ( 10-180 mg/dl)
HDL 38 ( 30-70 )
LDL 163 ( 60-180)
Ratio 5.38 (5-1)
Your cholesterol level is high .
You should be worried but not too much.Your cholesterol is not that too high to be worried .You may easily get back to normal range with these measures:
1 High fiber diet , green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits take maximum ( but in limit ) .
2 Cut down the processed food, white bread doughnuts , sugar ( SWEETS ) pizza, burger should be avoided as far as possible.
3 A 40 minute physical activities everyday like morning or evening walk or a visit to gym or swimming pool will be helpful .
4 Tension , anxiety and over eating on the name of healthy diet should be avoided.
When such patients visit my clinic with such reports . In the first meeting I advise my patients to go life style modifications for 3 months. I retest them again after 3 months & if they continue to be in high range of cholesterol I advise my patient to take medicine .
Your doctor prescribed ROSEDAY 10 mg ( rosuvastatin) 10 month back but you didn't use it, so now do these measures as mentioned above.
Side effects of roseday are headache , dizziness , constipation, nausea , vomiting , abdominal pain, myalgia , chest pain,peripheral edema, depression, insomnia , rash parasthesia, proteinuria.
You are still having hypertension , chest pain and feeling of loss of sensation in hands ( as mentioned in query ) .All these symptoms may be due to tension and hypercholestolaemia .
At present don't take roseday.
Do these measures at earliest , if after three months , still feel these symptoms and high level of cholesterol then consult a CARDIOLOGIST .
Hope I have answered you question.
If further any question I will reply in follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D