What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Got lab work back. creatinine was 1.49 mg/dL in april 2017 it was 1.29.
My GFR(non african) 51 mL/min/1.73 it was 62 in april 2017.
Report states that i am in stage 3a CKD. Aside from being re-tested in a few weeks please comment on the severity and the level of concern for these numbers.
Assuming the retest shows similar numbers, is there anything that can be done to reverse the disease. I am 57. non smoker. moderate/heavy drinker.6 feet tall weigh 240 pounds. I take 1000mg of ibuprofen per day for arthritis.I uploaded full blood report from 1-11-2018 and April 2017 to include BUN, BUN/Creatinine Ratio and Albumin. These three show as within normal levels. But creatinine and GFR have gotten worse since April
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to have work up for cause of chronic renal disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though such fluctuations are minor and mild improvement or worsening will not mean alot of difference in outcome however the prime cause of such high creatinine should be worked up. In your case like you shared the chronic use of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs for your arthritis, can be a route cause.

Though other possibilities should be discussed and regular follow up with a nephrologist is recommended. Avoid Ibuprofen in such doses and for pain more safer options for kidneys like acetaminophen or tramadol can be used after discussing with your primary care physician.

Keep good hydration and in conditions like gastroentritis or diarrhea or vomiting rapid fluid replacement should be ensured. Avoid any nephrotoxic drugs and before taking any newer drug discuss it's renal safety profile and dosing accordingly to avoid any further damage should be ensured.

An ultrasound KUB to look for extent of kidney damage estimation may help to predict the prognosis. With such measures the disease progression can be controlled.

Moreover your tests show high triglycerides which should be reversed with use of Statins and avoiding high fat diets and including brisk excercises in the daily routine. TSH levels had once come a bit higher and should be monitored three monthly.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T