Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What does my lab test report indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Neeraj Kumar


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2263 Questions

Posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: My partner had a serious traumatic brain injury in 2009. in 2014 the MRI brain scan showed diffuse involutional change. There were also large localised areas of focal brain damage involving the anterioinferior aspect of the right frontal lobe and the anterolateral aspect of the left temporal lobe. Can you explain in plain English. He has challenging behaviour now!
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
The involved region of brain due to head injury is responsible for behavioral changes.

The MRI findings suggest that your partner had injury to the specific parts of brain that are responsible for behavior and cognition etc.,

The involution seen on MRI is a result of severe brain injury.

The anteroinferior part means the lower side of the front part of the brain. This is the part of brain that is responsible for learning, logic, social inhibition, emotional control etc. That is why your partner is suffering from behavioral problems.

Another aggravating factor is age which itself can manifest as Alzheimer's or other type of dementia.
You can get blood investigations like thyroid profile,vitamin B 12, liver and kidney function tests.
The drugs prescribed are for memory.
Behavioral control can be achieved by using quitiapine.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 17 hours later
Thank you very much for your helpful reply. In your experience for people with this kind of brain injury is it difficult to find appropriate long term care? The only place that can 100% meet his needs is a neurological specialist home. I have spoken to and/or visited over 60 nursing homes but apart from two homes who might accept him on 1 : 1 care, nobody can meet his needs and will not take him in. I am fighting to get CHC funding so that my partner can be in a home that meets his needs. I have already been told that we should be considering the brain injury as his primary health need. It is not an easy process and will be a battle. I do not want him put somewhere that cannot meet his needs.
Any advice would be helpful. The multi disciplinary assessment is due to take place next Wednesday.
Karen Pearson (long term partner)
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get evaluated by neurologist and add medications as advised

Detailed Answer:
Drugs to control behavior will help a lot and needs gradual titration.
Quitiapine can be added initially.
Vitamin B 12 supplements will be helpful in case of deficiency.
Nursing home care may be required.
Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on