What does my lab test report indicate?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My bacteria overgrowth (sibo) results. Can you tell me if they look positive or negative?
Time H2
Baseline 16
15mins 19
30mins 18
45mins 15
1hour 24
1+15 46
1+30 56
1+45 55
2 hours 102
2+15 95
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Positive sir.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
Have gone through your reports dear.
As per standard text If average basal values of breath hydrogen is more than 16 parts per million (ppm), it is generally considered as a high value.Your test is positive for SIBO as in your case its 16 ppm.
Hope i was helpful.
Thanks!

Follow-up: What does my lab test report indicate? 27 minutes later
What is my next step? Can I get a prescription for treatment via this online service? My gastro doctor said the test was negative so I guess I need a second opinion?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its not a very sensitive test so opinions may vary from doctor to doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,
See the sensitivity of SIBO is less then 50%.This means that in 50 out of 100 patients it gives true results while in others it gives false result.
As quoted earlier basal ppm conc of hydrogen more then 16 is concidered high.Yours is 16 ppm and 14 ppm.So if you were my patient i would have considered you positive and would have given you a prophylactic treatment with Rifaximin 400 mg once daily for10 days.Its always good to be on safe side.I believe that prophylaxis is always better.

You can get a prescription from any primary physcian.Its a safe medicine.

Hope i cleared your doubts dear patient.
Regards!