• question-icon

What does my lab test report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I can see what appears to be blood pumping through my arteries in my neck (see attached). If it's abnormal, what are some possible causes of this?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

I carefully reviewed your uploaded video and would explain that it does not indicate any medical disorder.

You should know that it is quite normal for the blood flow to be visible in the carotid arteries during the heart pulsations (systole).

Of course these carotid artery pulsations are more visible in young and tall adults.

Other conditions which can make these pulsations more prominent (visible) are high blood pressure, thyroid gland dysfunction, physical activity and anxiety.

But, in your case, there is nothing to worry about.

Your cardiac ultrasound is within the normal ranges.

From the other hand, I don't think that they are so visible in your case, compared to other normal persons.

But, if you have noticed any changes lately, I would recommend just performing some lab tests:

- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

Meanwhile, it is necessary to closely monitor your blood pressure values frequently during the day.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist