• question-icon

What does my lab test report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am male. I had a general premarital health check recently as I was sexually active with some people before 6 months. I have always had protected sex using condoms. All the test reports was fine. My HIV blood report from ELFA method shows as Non- Reactive . I have not had any sexual intercouse over the last 6 months or more. My concern is should I do the HIV test again or is the result realiable as my lymphocytes count shows 19% The normal range states as 20 to 40. I was on antibiotics like doxy , medrol and levocetirizine teczine on and off for about a month recently. Does the Lymphocytes count change on daily basis. My concern is whether the drop of lymphocytes count is from antibiotics or some Sexually transmitted disease. All the blood test report about Sexually transmitted diseases shows as negative and doctor said everything after seeing the report . I am totally concerned as I am planning to have a baby. Please guide me. I have always had protected sex and my last sex was 6 months back I have used condoms and it did not break. Please guide me
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Free from HIV

Detailed Answer:

At the outset you are cleared from having a HIV active virus in your body with the above tests. However you are always at a high risk if you continue to indulge in polygamous relationship even with protection. So refrain from that.
You do not have to test further for the past exposures.
The lymphocyte count drops and is varied. A lot of factors play for the lymphocyte count. The drop is just percentage and not numbers. They can be due to various reasons from relative increase in neutrophils who are busy fighting serious bacterial infections. You should better keep off your anxiety on the drop in Lymphocyte percentage.
You can continue planning for a baby but my sincere advise to refrain from high risk intercourse.
Hope this information is useful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 hours later
Thank for your valuable feed back doctor. I will refrain from risky activity. So everything seems to be fine right doctor. just attaching my lab reports. I was just so worried about this.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
All well

Detailed Answer:

Please do not worry. THere is nothing significant in the reports to quote. All is fair in the reports.

Take care of your health. If you do not have questions please close and rate my answers.

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam