What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 25 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Dr,

Could you please go through the attached report and explain it in simpler terms.

To give an overview, my mom underwent 2 times Meningioma Surgeries(Last surgery on 30th Apr 14) and a Radio Therapy session. Doctor asked to perform a MRI as its almost 1 year since last MRI done(Attached reports showing the comparison too).

Thanks,
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am able to see only one MRI report.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical mom's details. I am able to see one MRI report dated Feb 2016. Can you upload the second MRI report once again please?

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 minutes later
Sure Doctor. Please find the new attachments. Kindly let me know if anything is needed from my end.

Thanks,
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be doing well.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back with the new MRI brain reports.

As per the report, there is no significant difference as compared to the MRI brain done one year back. This means that there is no growth of the tumor.

However, a contrast MRI (done after giving an injection in the vein) would confirm the above assumption.

As of now, only anti-seizure medicines need to be continued.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Thanks for the prompt response Dr.

Can you please educate me on the measurements part of it and few other terminology mentioned there like presence of lesions at different sections of brain.

Does it mean tumor still exists. If yes, how many and whats the size of it.

How will it impact the patient and few more related detail which could help get more precautious.

Thanks,
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to get worried in the report.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

1. There is no significant change as compared to last year report, in terms of measurements.

2. There is some tumor left behind after surgery (also called as residual lesion). This is done in many cases, as removing whole of tumor can cause damage to some important structures in brain. This is not of concern as the left over tumor has not increased in size.

3. Gliosis refers to scar (or mark due to operation). There is normal after any surgery.

4. For more information, a "contrast" MRI scan of brain should be done, which would confirm the points 1-3 above.

If you have any further specific query regarding the MRI or the patient, please get back.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 hours later
Thanks Doctor.

Can i get an overview of the tumor's residual size and how much impact will it cause if its still present.

How reactive will it be.

xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can cause headache and seizures.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

The residual tumor is relatively small and may cause headache and/or seizures in some cases.

What do you mean by the term "reactive"?

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj