What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: my TSH result is 13.04 as on January 4, 2017.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism:

Detailed Answer:
The TSH level you reported is high, suggestive for under active thyroid or hypothyroidism, FT4 and FT3 should be checked also.
At your age the most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto thyroiditis that should be confirmed by checking the antibodies (AntiTPO and antiTG).
Usually the pathology is chronic and the treatment is long term.
Your physician will prescribe levothyroxine and 6 weaks after starting the treamtent you should check the TSH to see if the dose prescribed by your doctor is the right one.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 13 minutes later
So, is it that I should get my FT4 and FT3 levels checked or can I start levothyroxine directly for 6 weeks and then get a check up.

xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check them before.

Detailed Answer:
I would recommend to check FT4 and Ft3 before.
The antibodies also.
Dr.Mirjeta