What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: TB-ag ESAT6/CFP10,TB7.7) 12.858 IU/mL. Positive. Cutoff 0.35. Interpretation M Tb inf likley. The person is 18 years old and isitaking accutane for acne. CXR clear and no symptom s of TB
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
What are your symptoms? Have you been vaccinated against TB?

Detailed Answer:

Some elements are needed for a conclusive response to be provided:

1. Have you ever been vaccinated against Tuberculosis? That is the BCG vaccine?
2. Have you ever lived or listed Africa?
3. Do you have any disturbing symptoms such as cough,blood stained mucus, fever, weight loss, night time sweat, weakness and loss of appetite?
4. Is there any one in your vicinity who is been treated or has been treated for tuberculosis?
5. Kindly upload the entire report for review.

A positive test doesn’t always means you have an active infection. We need this added information to determine exposure and probability of an ongoing infection so that we can recommend treatment or not.

I wish you good and hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Waiting
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 hours later

1. Have you ever been vaccinated against Tuberculosis? That is the BCG vaccine?YES
2. Have you ever lived or listed Africa?NO (India-YES)
3. Do you have any disturbing symptoms such as cough,blood stained mucus, fever, weight loss, night time sweat, weakness and loss of appetite?(N0)
4. Is there any one in your vicinity who is been treated or has been treated for tuberculosis?(NO)
5. Kindly upload the entire report for review.(YES).
6. Clinicially the pt. is normal, with no signs or symptoms and CXR is clear
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I wouldn’t treat based on this test and the information here presented!

Detailed Answer:

I will not treat you for tuberculosis at this time given the findings. You have been exposed but there are no clues to suggest that you have an active infection. However, other countries might require that you get treated irrespective of the absence of evidence to suggest an active ongoing infection. I will let your doctor to make that call according to the local guidelines in Australia.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 days later
What are the routine medications for latent TB?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Latent TB is not treated!

Detailed Answer:

Latest TB is doesn’t need to be treated. If anyone wants to treat irrespective, you may need to go on Isoniazid for 9months.

I wish you well.