What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Lupus
Question: Hi Doctor,
As a part of alopecia treatment my doctor asked me to have a ANTI NUCLEAR ANTIBODIES test. The result of ANA is positive (value of 3.89). kindly suggest me the treatment for the same. Attached is the report for ANA for your reference.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alopecia

Detailed Answer:
Good evening XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, firstly the method done for ANA is an obsolete one...ELISA is not used anymore. It is preferable to repeat it by IFA.

2. Alopecia is usually an autoimmune condition and ANA being positive is a marker for it. IT can either be an independent problem or can be a part of another autoimmune disease, which we need to rule out. I would like to ask you a few more queries before suggesting you further:

1. DO you have any rashes or other skin problems? If yes which areas

2. DO you have any history of oral ulcers?

3. ANy history of joint pains or muscle aches??

4. Any rashes which get worsen in the sun??

Also I would suggest you get an ENA profile done, which is a further test of ANA to see what all antibodies can be positive.

Do let me know these queries. Would guide you further from here

REgards
Dr Naval