What does my lab test report indicate?
I want to know what is the below report means,
HSV 1/2 IGG,TYPE SPECIFIC AB HERPESELECT
HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB Flag H 0.98
HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB 0.33
I know that <0.90 is negative and >1.10 is positive. The HSV1 reading is in between negative and positive. This is the reading of someone who is important for me and I want to know the meaning of this reading before I move further. Any suggestions from the medical point of view would be really appreciated.
You need not be worried.
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
The results for Immunoglobulin G (IgG) for HSV type 1 is in the equivocal range. Unless the test is strongly positive (possibly 4 or 5 times the normal range), you need not assume it to be positive. Moreover, 70-80% of the US population tests positive for HSV 1 and you need not worry about it. HSV 1 causes the cold sores that most of us get sometime when we catch a cold or get a fever. IgG indicates that sometime in life (not necessarily recently) you might have had such a cold sore. It is not a cause for concern.
HSV 2 is generally the cause of genital herpes. It has already tested negative and hence you need not worry.
1. Is the person who has HSV1 equivocal range ( 0.98 ) can pass HSV1 to other person by kissing or any other skin to skin contact?
2. Is the person who has HSV1 equivocal range ( 0.98 ) need to re-test to confirm whether it is negative or positive?
3. You mentioned that unless the test is strongly positive ( possibly 4 or 5 times the normal range) its not positive. However, the document says that anything higher than 1.10 is positive. Kindly clarify this.
Equivocal does not mean positive.
Thanks for writing back.
I find your apprehension baseless. HSV can spread through kissing. But how does it matter? There are numerous types of bacteria in your oral cavity. They too can spread by kissing. Its therefore upon you to decide what to do. But tell me whether you yourself are facing any problems if you have an HSV infection (just like majority of the population)?
If apprehensive, you have feel free to retest.
Although level higher than 1.10 is positive, in case of positivity much higher results are usually obtained.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Done tmt test what does the reports indicate
- Blood test done what does the report indicate
- Ovulation test done what does the report indicate
- Ecg test lab report
- What does this lab test report mean
- What does #39pus vulgaris#39 indicate in a lab report
- Liver test done what does a lab test report suggest
- What does my lab test report suggest
- What does the test report indicate
- Lab tests done what are the findings in the report