What does my lab test report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Dr. Spaho: I stopped taking Metformin on April 22 after taking it for a year. Lab report from May 4 showed my GFR went back up from 56.3 on April 13 to 65.3. My Creatinine dropped to 1.10 from 1.25 on April 13. I would think that this represents a significant turnaround in less than a month.

Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unusual to be due to metformin alone

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your feed back.
Your clinical scenario is very interesting. GFR declines normally with age and this is accelerated by infections , dehydration and use of certain medicines and use of contrast media. If you had any xray studies with contrast while on metformin , it would have adversely affected your kidney function . Glad to know that your GFR has improved and the fast improvement is unusual if metformin is the only causative factor.
Do get back to the team if you have more queries.
Dr Noble Zachariah
Dr. Noble Zachariah