What does my insulin test report indicate?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Diabetes
Question: Hi Doc....recently i did a Insulin Biochemistry Test.....Fasting Value came 31.34 and PP Value came 57.7.....can u please advise regarding the result thanx

Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to know more.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

I want to know -
For what purpose Serum insulin levels have been suggested to you?

As such in clinical practice Serum insulin levels are very rarely advised.
Serum insulin levels have only role in diagnosing Insulin secreting tumor only. In that case also has to be correlated with blood sugar levels.

Serum insulin levels may point toward state of hyperinsulinemia (insulin resistance) but to diagnose that simple detailed physical examination and history taking is enough.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana