What does my hair follicular test report indicate?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hello, First time in 3 years I smoked marijuana 2.5 months ago and I have a hair follicle test Monday. Will I pass?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, but not from the recent one!

Detailed Answer:
The hair test measures all marijuana use during the growth of the hair. The use 2.5 months ago will show up in the bottom 1-2 inches of hair.

"Despite the name of this test, we do not actually test the follicle (or “root”) itself. In fact, we test the first inch and a half of hair growth from the base, equating to an approximate 90 day history of drug use. If the head hair is less than an inch and a half, we can test body hair. There is some debate about the look-back period for body hair. Our lab estimates it at 90 to 365 days. "
https://www.health-street.net/drug-tests/hair/?v=google&gclid=CjwKEAiArbrFBRDL4Oiz97GP2nISJAAmJMFayrmwcZ5U14c9SNbAyJLoWsXXI_Up6pEgt5n9LpeKlhoCZi_w_wcB
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 21 minutes later
You said no, but not from the recent one. Help me understand not from the recent one?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ok...again...

Detailed Answer:
the most recent is likely too recent to show in a hair follicle test. The one from 2.5 months ago WILL show up.