What does my follicular study report indicate?

Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi... I had my follicular study this cycle. I had a dominant follicle on right which was 21x15 mm and 13x9 mm on 13 th day of my menstrual cycle. I had hcg shot on 14th day. I had scan again on 16th day which says there is 3 dominant follicle of 19x19 mm ,14x8mm,13x7mm. What does this mean? Have I not ovulated yet?
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may have ovulate.

Detailed Answer:

I think you had one dominant follicle which was 21 x 15 mm on 14th day. So, it should have ruptured after 34 to 36 hours of injection. Sometimes after rupture the follicle increases in size. If you can see fluid in POD in the ultrasound which is also a sign of rupture. Just see on the scan if it is mentioned or not.

You can also take one more hCG shot if rupture has not occurred and get a scan done 2 days after the 2nd injection. Be in contact with your husband for 2 to 3 days after injection. Discuss with your doctor regarding this. Also you will have some pain in lower abdomen if you have ovulated.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 38 minutes later
It is written free fluid in POD. Also I had slight pain in lower abdomen today which is 16th day.. I am worried about the follicle which is 19x19. Is that the follicle which was dominant diminished in size or that follicle got ruptured.
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think you have ovulated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think fluid in POD and pain in abdomen are clear signs that you have ovulated. Follicle size can increase as well as decrease. It doesn't matter. I think 19 x 19 mm is the dominant follicle which has ruptured.Actually the follicle gets converted into a corpus luteal cyst. So, start taking progesterone for 2 weeks. Do a urine pregnancy test after that. Hope I have answered your question.
Dr XXXXXXX