What does my echo cardiogram report indicate?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
32 - M - Obese

Hi Dr. Sharka, I hope you are well. A few months back you responded to my question about my echo results.

Lately in the news I have noticed some young people pass due to cardiac arrest from enlarged hearts. This has raised my general anxiety level about my heart. It seems from this echo that mine is also enlarged.

You did a great job reassuring me that I need to lose weight and get healthy and that my echo was not terrible. I am curious what it says in regards to the size of the heart and its likelihood to impact my lifespan. Do my numbers look bad? Reversible? Should I be taking any precautions? My cardiologist was not concerned about the echo and never mentioned any issues with my heart size. I hope you can provide your usual valuable insight.

You will be pleased to know I am walking more and now following a low carb diet by eradicating most sugar, carbs, caffeine, etc.

Thanks again and happy holidays / New Years.
Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, dear XXXX!

I am glad to hear from you again, and especially knowing you are following the right path to a healthy and long life.

I remember our last discussion and also reviewed again your echo report and let me declare that there is no reason to think you are at increased risk of any dangerous or life-threatening cardiac issues.

You are right about an increased sudden cardiac death rate in enlarged heart individuals.

But, this is absolutely not your case.

Your cardiac ultrasound report states that you have mild left ventricular concentric hypertrophy, but this is a frequent finding in obese or hypertensive individuals and doesn’t mean any cardiomyopathy such as hypertrophic or dilated cardiomyopathy (which are in fact the real risk for life-threatening cardiac arrhythmia an sudden death).

Furthermore, your cardiac chambers are within normal range; your left ventricle dimensions are normal and left atrial volume quite normal (when indexed by body surface area).

Cardiac valves are normally functioning and also right heart chambers are in good shape too.

Meanwhile, I have explained you the significance of the mitral valve deceleration time and tissue Doppler values (E/E’).

They are totally heart load dependent and quite reversible when the overall circulation conditions are brought to an optimal state (such as weight reduction and a healthy life-style).

So, nothing to worry about even at this point of concern.

Regarding slightly increased RVSP value (which reflects systolic pulmonary artery pressure), I would explain that once you properly control your chronic pulmonary disorder (optimizing your maintenance therapy) and decrease your body weight, it will resolve to nearly normal values.

You should know that overweight and especially obesity may lead to sleep apnea syndrome and obesity hypoventilation syndrome, which both predispose to cardiac arrhythmia and tendency of high blood pressure values.

That’s why the real challenge for you is not your heart but your body weight and pulmonary functional status.

By keeping this in mind, it would be easier finding the right way of XXXXXXX management and precautions.

In conclusion, I strongly encourage you keeping the ongoing pattern of life-style modifications and you will see that good results will be soon attained.

That’s my professional opinion.

I remain at your disposal for any further discussions whenever you will need.

Wishing you a pleasant weekend and a very Happy New Year!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What does my echo cardiogram report indicate? 2 days later
Dr. Iliri,

Thank you for your very kind analysis once again. I now understand there are different forms of enlarged heart with varied outcomes. I am pleased to hear that I am not at additional risk of sudden events!

I greatly appreciate your replies and insight. You explain it in a way that is easy to understand, reassuring, and direct to point to ways to improve the situation. You are a very valuable resource on this site.

I shall follow up with you in a 2-3 months to let you know how things are going if you do not mind.

Thanks again and best to you and your family in 2018.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

I would be glad to review al your medical reports and discuss any medical issues you are concerned about!

Let me know about everything!

Wishing a Happy New year!

Dr.Iliri