• question-icon

What does my drug test report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hello, I am going to have a saliva swab drug test done on July 5th. Have been a daily marijuana smoker for a long time. I completely stopped smoking on July 29. Do you think I will pass the test? No other drug use involved.sorry stopped smoking XXXXXXX 29 test is july 5
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That's a Year ago?!?!

Detailed Answer:
If it is a YEAR ago unquestionably yes/fine/not there, if it is a week ago, probably OK.
"I completely stopped smoking on July 29. " you probably meant XXXXXXX

Each testing is for a different reason. The oral is a replacement of needles and blood to see what is there RIGHT NOW.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/
that is half going away in 2 hrs. 1/4 in 4, about 1% in 12 hrs about 1 thousanth at ONE day. So, mostly for the longer metabolites 5 to 7 days. They don't test for those as much as for the actual marijuana. So, the test is generally used to see if someone is HIGH RIGHT THEN with marijuana, not long term with the metabolites (which urine is positive for months so......not salivary testing). And the salivary test doesn't detect as small amounts as the urine one can.

PROBABLY OK (heh, I would have said the opposite til I looked it up, thanks.).
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist