What does my diabetes test report indicate?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: In determing whether my blood sugar is too high after eating, i know that one hour after eating you should be below 140. Should you be under 120 after two hours? I have been monitoring my 1 hour level and today also checked after two hours. I was at 131 after 1 hour and 125 after two hours. By 2.5 houra my level was at 106. Should I be worried with the 125?

I took an Hb1a test and it came back at 5.4. Over the last week, my fasting glucose is consistently coming back at 100-101. There was one day where it was 114 and today it was at 91. I know i need to schedule a GTT to know for sure but since i am seeing conflicting stats on levels at 2 hours post meal, I want to confirm.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's ok. Just get the GTT

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
The sugars entered are quite in range.
The first hour sugar is rarely adviced because it fluctuates highly with the diet taken.
The 2nd hour sugars are supposed to be less than 126.
Your Hba1c is well within the normal range.
Your fasting sugars are also normal.
I would think that your sugars are either normal or you have what is knowN as insulin resistance.
I agree a GTT would be prudent.
Better to do with 75 gm glucose.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 52 minutes later
Can you explain insulance resistance? Does it usually lead to diabetes and heart disease or can it be prevented? How do they diagnose insulin resistance? Is pre diabetes and insulin resistnace the same?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Specific answers

Detailed Answer:
Prediabetes and insulin resistance is different. In the latter the insulin in body is not enough. And yes it's known to cause heart disease. It can be prevented by exercise and diet control.