What does my colonoscopy report indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Will I be submitting my question to a board certified Gastroenterologist? I am waiting to hear from a board certified Gastroenterologist before I proceed.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please post your query dear patient.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Dear patient kindly pen down all your details like symptoms, medications you are on and attach all investigations that has been done previously.

I would be happy to provide you with professional advice.
Waiting for your query.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

I am a 70 year old female who presented with a small colon polyp, the size of a pecil eraser, at the age of 37. It was removed during the colonoscopy and was benign. I'm not sure if it was pre-cancerous or not as the records that far back are no longer available. Is a polyp that small (5mm) usually pre-cancerous? I had several colonoscopies over the years and there were no polyps for 30 years,until November 2015 when I presented with one 9mm advanced pre-cancerous colon polyp. It came out in pieces, but, fortunately,was benign.

A follow-up colonoscopy was performed 3 months later in February 2016 to confirm that it was all removed. I am scheduled for my next colonoscopy in February 2019. Also, my father had colon cancer, but did not die from it.

I have just one lovely 33 year old daughter, who I love with all my heart. We are getting mixed messages from doctors about when she should have her first colonoscopy. Family doctor suggested she should have a colonoscopy within the next couple years. Her husband, a radiologist, opined that she should wait until age 40. Although, bright as he is, I'm not very sure that he knows much about any specialty other than radiology!

Finally, I just read an academic article that sugested that she should have had a colonoscopy at 27 (an age 10 years before the age I was when my first polyp was removed!) Was I amiss by not advising my daughter to have a colonoscopy years ago?. I am so confused I decided to check with you, Dr. XXXXXXX There is obviously nothing I can do about her not having the colocnoscopy earlier. My main conern, however, is when do you recommend that she has a colonoscopy: a.Very soon;b.in the next couple years; or c. at age 40? I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX Altmann
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ideally age is 40 years.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient,
Thanks choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Answers to your queries are as follows
1)Most likely(99%) of times polyp less then 10 mm in size are benign in nature.So practically if polyp was 5mm it was benign.However theoretically in 1-2% of rare cases they can be malignant also(don’t worry yours was benign).

I am sorry to hear about your father but feel happy that you are having a good time with your daughter.In my opinion as per standard text if a person has strong family history of colon cancer then prophylactically a colonoscopy should be done every 3-4 years after age of 40.So unless your daughter has any symptoms i agree with his husband.When she is 40 she can have her first colonoscopy.However as a mother i can very well understand your anxiety levels.
In today scenario there are a number of screening tests available for prophylactically diagnosing colon or rectal pathology.
Colonoscopy is a gold standard test and should be done either after age of 40 or if there are any symptoms(Ideally).However as explained earlier age depends on doctors discretion.
If i would be her primary Gastro then i would have done her colonoscopy at 40.

My recommendation is go for
High-sensitivity fecal occult blood tests (FOBT)- Its a very sensitive and outpatient procedure(no preperation required).She just needs to give her stool sample.
Sensitivity level are almost 90%.
I would suggset her to go for this test along with Virtual colonoscopy (CT colonography), a minimally invasive test that uses a CT scan to view your colon.
Combined together both these tests are almost as sensitive as colonoscopy and are non invasive.
If both these tests turns up to be normal.Then i don’t feel that there is any need to worry for next 5 years.
Please mail this to your primary gastro and do tell me what he says.

I hope my answer was helpful for a caring mother.
Wish you and your daughter a very happy life ahead.
Please feel free to ask any query.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Bless you! You have put my mind as ease. You seem like a wonderful, highly informed doctor and we will certainly follow your wise advice and give you a 5-star rating!

Warm Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
thank you.

Detailed Answer:
wish you and your family a happy life ahead dear and thanks a lot for appreciation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad