• question-icon

What does my colonoscopy report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a colonoscopy several weeks ago and my feet have been swollen ever since. My doctor says a colon oscopy does not cause swollen feet. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible connecion

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Leg swelling after colonoscopy is a rare side effect and can happen due to a few reasons, such as positioning during the procedure, muscle inflammation, deep vein thrombosis. However, these are side effects of colonoscopy that occur immediately or a few hours after the procedure.

In this case, I think the leg swelling is due to a kidney problem, most likely triggered or brought on by the substance used during the colonoscopy.

If you do not have other symptoms such as less frequent urination, weight gain, and ankle swelling, then I suggest simple measures such as Ibuprofen twice per day and leg raising for a few days, to see if the swelling decreases.

If despite all these measures, you continue to experience the swelling and you have the above-mentioned symptoms then I recommend you see your doctor for further evaluation.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Wishing you good health and best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ornela Ademovi