• question-icon

What does my bone marrow biopsy report result indicate?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: Hi My wife passed away on 18th feb 2017 after taking her own life. I have not been sleeping well since and even though I take a herbal sleeping tablet I still waken after 5 hours sleep. I am fit and have continued my exercise on the bike 2 or 3 times per week. About 6 weeks ago I had a light head coming home from work and after a visit to the doctor and bloods taken it turns out my white cell count and platelets are low. After a visit to haemotology last week, I now have to go for a bone marrow biopsy even though I am in good health and as a PE Teacher have always exercised even now at 61 yrs of age. My white count is 3.7 so i am hoping that it is not cancer as when I google it just seems to talk about lymphona etc. I am obviously worried but hoping my good health will stand to me as only last Friday I was still able to do 200 16 kg kettle bell swings. What else could it be if not cancer? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be your herbal medicine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to assure you that not all changes in blood count are cancer. There are multiple conditions which can cause decrease white blood cell and platelet count. Before you go further it is possible that 3.7 is just a lab error rather than anything. It is also possible that it is normal variant of count for you.

Most importantly it is possible that your herbal supplement causing decreased white and platelet count.

I must assure you that there is long list of conditions ranging from insignificant to serious ones so it will be better to get you self tested before jumping to conclusion. This will ensure the anxiety is low and you will be able to handle the situation in better way.

I hope this answers you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 19 minutes later
What kind of herbal supplement would cause a decrease in white cell count because I have been taking Ashwagandha for years for stress and my general health?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ashwagandha increases WBC

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

I do not mean that every herbal supplements cause decrease in blood cell count but there are numerous things which can cause decrease white cell count. Prominent among these are excess sugar, poly unsaturated fats from sunflower and other can cause abnormally low level of WBC.

The another common cause for low WBC is chronic stress which could be contributing factor in your case.

Aswagandha on the other hand increases white blood cell count and unlikely to be a cause for low blood cell count.

I hope this clarifies.
Thanks and regards.

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist