What does my blood test result indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: I had done cell banking in life cell Indi. I got my bloodtest report done by them, in that CMV Igg is reactive and rest all tests are non reactive.. WHAT DOES IT mean?, . AM I AFFECTED WITH ANY INFECTION OR MY HUSBAND IS INFECTED? Is there any treatment? MY BABY IS ONE MONTH OLD. So will baby get problems from this
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It indicates an old infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health Care Magic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. CMV is a virus that causes a simple flu like infection. While a raised IgM indicates acute or recent infection, an IgG positivity indicates that you had sometime suffered from it. I would need to know about the IgM levels to be able to comment definitively but if it is negative, you need not worry. If IgM is positive, it is indeed a cause for concern as CMV increases the possibility of congenital anomalies, especially in first trimester. However, mere IgG positivity does not matter and you need not worry. Nothing needs to be done about it.

The test does not indicate that your husband has been infected.

If your baby is otherwise fine you need not worry. Since there is still a minimal chance that the earlier infection could have occurred in your fist trimester, it is better to report the finding to your child's pediatrician and get the child properly evaluated. Hopefully everything will be fine.