What does my blood test result indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I recently had physical and when I received my lab results it read as follows " Your blood tests show slightly high cholesterol levels SLIGHTLY LOW RED BLOOD CELLS (HMG 13.4} AND BLOOD IN MY URINE I would recommend rechecking urine and red blood cell level in one to two months) When I talked to the doctor he said the two are not related. (blood in urine and hemoglobin Last year my hemoglobin was 16.5. The Doctor is making it sound like it is no big deal but I am nervous. Your Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need get investigated thr cause for blood in urine .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have hematuria with mild anemia (Low Hemoglobin)

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have any obstructive voiding symptoms like frequency for urination ,poor stream ,urgency for urination etc suggestive of Enlarged Prostate which is common at this age ?
2) Did you have passed noticeable red coloured urine (Gross Hematuria)
3) Are you taking any blood thinning medicines like Aspirin or Heparin .?

The anemia low hemoglobin that you have can be due to chronic blood loss through urine

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) C.T Scan ob abdomen with and without contrast
5) Endoscopic Examination of Bladder (Cystoscopy).
6) Renal function tests.

Further any more test required and treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.