What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi doctor,

I went to a GP and the doctor did a full hiv and STD check me. When he examined me he saw a blister on the shaft of my penis. He told me it might be Genital Herpes. He also put me on anti viral medication for 10days and gave me a cream to apply on the shaft.

He did a blood test on me. The result came back Herpes -1 positive @1.1.

I was wondering how could I get Genital Herpes if I did not had penerative Sex and oral Sex.

I applied the cream and took the medication. The blister is still there although it became flat and smaller.

I had doubt hence I went to another GP and he did a swab test on the blister. On the day I went I was on my last medication pill. Which means I was on the 10th days of the anti viral medication. The result came back negative .

Is it true that I had Genital Herpes hsv 1?

Sexual background
* had a nude massage and the masseur (a guy) did a skin to skin contact with me. No penetrative Nor normal. But he did rub his penis on my butt and inside my butt.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your lesion is quite unlikely to be due to HSV infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Prevalence of HSV 1 infection is common to the extent of 40-50 %in any community. 1.1 positive is just a borderline or equivocal positive, not a definite one. Your lesion is quite unlikely to be due to HSV infection. Without any penetrative sex, genital Herpes lesion is unlikely.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 15 minutes later
Thank you doctor . May I also asked is it true that the virus won’t be detectable on the second test because I was on the anti viral medication and cream. I am quite worried.

Test 1: blood test (day 21 after exposure)
Result: 1.1 positive hsv-1

Test 2: swab test (day 30)
Result: negative

Can I say that I am considered negative. Are the test conclusive ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not related to HSV infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
The HSV test is not detecting the virus, but the antibodies against HSV infection. So it is not true that the drugs interfere with the outcome of the results.
The borderline test could likely to become negative in subsequent test.
Your lesion is quite unlikely to be due to HSV infection.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Doctor,

Can I asked. What is the window period for Herpes testing. Is it a good idea I get tested after 3months. Cause I have heard of doctor saying that a result of 1.1 could indicate an early infection or false positive.

Or i should not worry too much
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Test value is not an absolute indicator of HSV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
HSV test can detect two types of antibodies. IgG and IgM. IgM will appear within 2 months of infection and disappear after 6 months whereas IgG appear after 6 months and will persist for years.
1.1 test value cannot be taken as an absolute one.
Dr S Murugan.
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 46 hours later
Doctor,

I tried to apply peppermint oil on the blister cause I thought it might help with the blister. 2days later it starts to peel. Like a lot of dead skin on the shaft of the penis.

Any trouble??
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is normal process. Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
As the blister subsided, you need not worry about it.
Peeling of skin indicates that the dead skin is replaced by healthy and normal skin.
Nothing to worry.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Doctor,

The dead skin can be observed on the whole shaft of the penis head. Almost covered 100% of the penis’ head. While showering i can see that the skin is in white Color.

All these has been observed after day 2 of applying peppermint essential oil on the penis head. It looks like the skin is exfoliating. I have never encountered this situation before in my life as this is my first time Apply peppermint on it

I would like to this could this be Herpes shedding. What does Herpes shedding looks like?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is due to the external application.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
To say really, I don't have any idea about pepper mint oil.
As far as possible, avoid any application unless you're sure about its action.
Genital skin can easily react to any irritant. Not related to HSV infection any way. Consult a dermatologist and get well soon
Dr S Murugan