What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I had a GI bleed last September and had 4 units of blood. My hemoglobin got to the level of 11 but it doesn't go any higher. It is not the iron content or B12. Those levels are fine. If I take either one of these, the levels of iron and B12 get too high. My normal hemoglobin is 14. I am tired all the time. Short of another transfusion, what can I do? If another transfusion is the answer, how do I get one. I will pay if necessary. I am normally quite healthy and this is aging me.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
We need to search the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

You have history of GI bleed. Now your hemoglobin is 11 and it is not increasing any more.

It can be due to chronic blood loss. You should go for Stool occult blood test and USG abdomen to find the cause of GI bleeding. Then you need to plan accordingly. Please send me your all report if any investigation or examination done for this issue. So that I can help you further.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 1 hour later
I did go through 2 stool sample tests and they came back negative.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should go for ultrasound abdomen.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

Your stool occult blood is negative.

You should go for ultrasound abdomen (USG abdomen) to rule out any mass lesion.

Please send me your all reports so that I can help you further.

Wish you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist