• question-icon

What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello, Doctor. I've been having stomach pains (upper abdomen that shoots to lower stomach) for many months now, including severe fatigue. My blood test indicated that I have high bilirubin (3.0) and low platlet count (143) I've been taking an anti-psychotic (Abilify) for about six months now, which the Psychiatrist just took me off of and on to another one (Aristada). Could this medication have caused damage to something somewhere, or is it the result of something else? I've had ultrasound in the past when my blood work was fine, including a CT of my abdomen which showed normal. Thank you for a reply. I am also experiencing difficulty swallowing.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopy required

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

First, these are only slightly elevated bilirubin which may be a side effect of medications that you take.

Also, there is slightly lower thrombocytes count. I don't think this is related to your symptoms but most common issues are gastritis or gallbladder stones.

Also, swallowing difficulties may indicate a hiatal hernia. It would be good to do an endoscopy to evaluate this further. It will also be aggravated by certain food or medications, stress, and smoking (if at all do).

You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables, and boiled food. Also, certain antacid medications may be required and as for last option, it is, of course, possible to perform surgical repair of a hernia especially if there are progressive respiratory discomfort and dyspepsia.

Additional, you should repeat ultrasound to rule out gallbladder stones.

Let me know if I could assist you further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon