What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: what would cause a high sed rate 114?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ESR is a non-specific parameter, ESR of 114 may be due to several reasons

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

ESR can be raised due to underlying inflammatory conditions and malignant conditions.
Inflammatory conditions include bacterial infection, tuberculosis, connective tissue disorders etc.
Malignant conditions include multiple myeloma, CML etc.

However, ESR is not a specific for any condition and does not indicate any specific disease.
ESR up to 114 is very high and needs further investigations to rule out any malignancy.

As you have mentioned that you have a back ache and you are immobile, I am suspicious for some plasma cell dyscrasia.

I'd suggest you get back to your referring doctor and get an X-ray spine, complete blood counts, peripheral blood examination and serum protein electrophoresis to know the cause of your symptoms and raised ESR.

Feel free to ask further
Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist