• question-icon

What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My baby was born on 30th XXXXXXX 2017 and we have got his blood test done, it shows his total bilirubin as 9.6 mg/dl which includes direct bilirubin as 0.7 and indirect as 8.9 mgs/dl. I want to know if we need any special attention for the baby?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No specific care is needed as this is normal for this age

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I won't get worried if serum bilirubin is 9.6 (out of which direct bilirubin is less than 20 % of total) on day four or five of life.
Rise in serum bilirubin is seen in almost every newborn and this is called physiological hyperbilirubinemia. Serum bilirubin usually starts decreasing after 6-7 days of life and gets normalised in next few days. There is no long term or short term complication of physiological hyperbilirubinemia.
Specific treatment is needed only if bilirubin level is very high or there is blood group mismatch. There is a myth of keeping the baby in morning sun light as a treatment or prevention of jaundice in new born but this is not needed and hence not recommended also.
So don't worry. Give routine care to the new born and watch for increase or persistence of yellowish discoloration beyond 14 days of life(very uncommon and may need some investigation in such cases). If you notice any abnormality please consult your pediatrician.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology