• question-icon

What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I just received my blood test results. my creatinine is 1.20 vs. a normal range of 0.67 - 1.17 mg/dL. What does this measure and is it high enough to be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Discussion folllows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Serum creatinine commonly increases if there is impairment of kidney functions.
This value is also related to the muscle mass and use of certain medicines or increased meat consumption.
There is only a very mild increase in S. creatinine and so it would be advisable to omit meat and avoid medicines like Septrin, H2 blockers, diuretic or Fenofibrate, if you are on any of these and repeat the value after a week. If it is not due to kidney impairment, the value will decrease . If it is still elevated, the eGFR may be calculated and this value is indicative of the kidney function.

Do get back to me if you have further queries?
Dr. Noble Zachariah